Saturday 28 February 2015

Deluxe Beef Bourguignon Pies

Price: £2.49

Score (out of five): 4

Review: I happily bought these after we enjoyed the Chicken and Chorizo Pies and they also came recommended from a friend.

Just like the chicken pies, the pastry was excellent, with no soggy bottoms in sight. The filling was very meaty, probably more so than the chicken pies, with a very rich gravy. There was definitely enough filling to go with the gravy, so you didn't end up with mouthfuls of dry pastry at the end to eat.

The only issue is, I don't know what made it a beef bourguignon? The gravy had a vague taste of red wine to it, but basically it was just a really nice beef pie, and definitely worth £2.49. I served them with mash, purple sprouting, and the Valentine's wine I'd bought.

And this little bit of my kitchen is getting so much attention from this blog that it's now demanding a rider.

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I can't agree. I found the meat chewy and unpleasant. The pastry was fine. First time the Lidl Deluxe range has let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know, the pies have gone down in my estimation recently too. We recently had the chicken and chorizo pies again, which were very nice first time, but this time had very little chicken and far too much chorizo.

    Sort it out Lidl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A load of rubbish, 2 bits of meat in it then carrots and mushroom. 0 out of 5 from us not worth it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very poor no meat well one piece each mushrooms where two bits of carrot never found any bacon,my advice dont buy get a pukka at least they have meat in them.

    ReplyDelete