Friday 21 November 2014

Humous

Price: 82p

Score (out of five): 2

Review: my partner likes his hummus. He is the world's supermarket hummus aficionado. Our supermarket hummus hierachy is: Waitrose, Sainbury's, Tesco, M&S, ASDA, and the coop. Back in 2008 there was a UK-wide shortage because the one factory that supplies hummus to all supermarkets had a salmonella scare. It was a grim couple of weeks in our household. We were also gobsmacked by the variation in hummus from one factory.

He'd tried Lidl hummus a few years back and was not impressed, so I'd always stuck with Tesco own-brand which is on permanent special offer (buy two for £1.80, and one always goes off before it's eaten). I noticed a big label recently in Lidl that they had a new hummus so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

And it was good Lidl - not amazing, definitely not the best, but not revolting. It would get a higher score, but the most recent time we bought it it was pretty poor - grainy, with a bit of a funny taste to it. Most of it ended up going into the food waste bin. Another attempt at trying it and the same again - bland and with a funny texture. Has anyone else had similar hummus quality consistency problems? Should we try again? Hummus is possibly the greatest middle class culinary signifier there is. I do hope Lidl can get this right.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe its improved, I have no problem with it, but admittedly I prefer the caramelised onion one best.

    ReplyDelete